Things To Do: Suggestions from Past Particpants
-The bayside beaches were beautiful at high tide and at low tide the kids loved that you could walk out on the sand bars.
-First Encounter Beach is a good place to watch the sunset. .
-The National Seashore has some great stuff- - canoe rides, beach bonfires, family stuff. Go to the Visitors Center as soon as you get to Eastham so you can plan your week.
- Nauset Light Beach is beautiful and it is interesting to see the old lighthouses.
- Coast Guard Beach has a nice bike trail.
- LongNook Beach in Truro. (Go after 4:00 p.m. to use parking lot.)
- Orleans and Chatham beaches at 6 a.m. - you can see whales and seals.
Towns Outside of Eastham
-Do a whale watch trip - it's a highlight of our trip every year.
- Visit the Pilgrim's monument in Provincetown.
- For kids: Pirate Museum in Provincetown.
Wellfleet and Chatham
- Wellfleet is a great little town and close by.
- Welfleet and Chatham are both great towns for walking, shopping and restaurants.
-Take the ferry to Nantucket.
- Martha’s Vineyard - Go early, stay late (best to go on Sunday) Things to see/do there:
- Take island overview bus tour or get around on public buses.
- Oak Bluffs - a community of over 300 diminutive, colorful gingerbread cottages, built initially as a campground colony in the 1800s
- Gayhead Cliffs - “We hiked to the bottom this year, but were disappointed: it looks secluded from above, but we had to hike through a very crowded beach, the last part being a nude beach….”
The Great Outdoors: kayak, bike, hike, cruise
- Rent a kayak from Castaway Marine; they will deliver it to you. We put in at Hemenway Rd, just south of Samoset. Unload, park on dirt outside of gate, no pass required.
- The Audobon Wildlife Sanctuary in Welfleet had a great sunset canoe trip.
- Kayak on the Bass River. (Rent from Howie's in West Dennis.)
- Bring or rent bikes! The bike trail is beautiful--what a great way to see the area.
- Ride bikes at the National Seashore.
- Hike - Jeremy Point Conservation Area in Welfleet.
- 7:30 Yoga at Coast Guard Beach (through the Ranger activities)
- Seal cruise in Chatham - Monomoy Island Ferry. We took the last cruise of the day and they stayed longer.
- Whale watch in Provincetown- Dolphin Fleet - sunset cruise is nice.
Culture and Entertainment
-Go to the Academy Playhouse in Orleans.
-The local theaters are great fun --visit and support local theater!
-The Cape Cod Baseball League is a must-do! Great, wholesome family fun.
-The Barnstable Haunted History Hike was lots of fun.
-High Tea in Chatham.
-Drive in Theater in Welfleet.
-Orleans Library - free concerts.
-Windmill Green in Eastham - free concerts.
-Buddha and Beads in Eastham - great items for sandtray.
-Gift Barn in Eastham - for miniatures and souvenirs.
-Red Balloon Toy Store in Orleans.
-Abiyoyo Toy Store in Welfleet.
-Welfleet Flea Market.
-Brewster is good for art and antiques.
-Provincetown has lots of shops - Portuguese Bakery is great
-Eat at your cottage and visit local fish markets for fresh seafood.
-The Nauset Fish Market in Orleans has really fresh fish and great service. You can pick out your lobsters there and they will boil to perfection and also crack them for you.
-For big shopping trips, go to the Stop & Shop in Orleans. There’s also a Starbucks there.
-Order lobsters cooked from George’s Fish Market in Harwich Port
-Thai Royal Cuisine
-Stewarts Seafood Restaurant and Tavern
-Mr Cricket’s - rustic and reasonable.
-Hole in One for breakfast and lunch
-The Beacon Room
-Sundae School Ice Cream
-The Lobster Pot
-Blue Willow Bakery
-Chapin’s Fish and Chips